Leonie Young NGO & Public Sector Consultant
Chairperson, PIRI Board
- Extensive 20 years experience in health and primary care reform as a successful CEO, Board Director, NGO and public sector executive. Bachelor Health Education & Science, University of Canberra, 1990.
- Formerly CEO and Board Director of beyondblue: the national depression initiative (July 2003 – December 2010); played strong role in Australia’s mental health reforms, including improving community awareness, consumer and carer participation, promotion, prevention and early intervention strategies, strengthening evidence based research and national e-mental health strategies.
- Consolidated a successful national partnership model in NGO/public sector stakeholder engagement with the Federal, State and Territory Governments
- Extensive policy and service development experience in health reform as a senior executive with the Australian Government, Department of Health & Ageing, having worked as a State Manager, Northern Territory, 2000 – 2003, and in DoHA with Mental Health and Aged Care 1990-2000.
- Represented beyondblue and the Australian Government on health partnership programs in China and Indonesia in primary health, mental health promotion and stigma reduction, rural and remote health; and in Australia, hosted visiting health officials to beyondblue from Canada, Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong, South Korea, New Zealand and the UK.
Other past roles:
- Member Australian Institute Company Directors, 2006-2011
- Board director RAW Inc, Rural Alive & Well, Tasmania, 2011
- Executive, DoHA, Mental Health & Suicide Prevention & Aged Care and NT State Manager, DoHA